Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year's Eve!

Reber used to hate New Year's Eve.  I never understood why because it seemed like the perfect holiday for him.  Now we have our own traditions that we both enjoy which include eating Chinese food (yes, we only get it once or twice a year) and watching a whole season of TV on DVD.  Past years have included Da Ali G Show and Weeds.  This year will be Arrested Development, which we've never seen but borrowed from my brother.  

I think God is using this to teach us to guard our time together as a family.  Not that there's anything wrong with going out or spending time with other people, and we need to do that sometimes, but sometimes we need to have our own traditions too and stick to them.  We have been invited to New Year's Eve events by FOUR different people and I've had to say no to them all.  All are people that I enjoy being with, but I am working on creating balance in this area of my life.

Does anyone else deal with this issue?  What are your New Year's Eve plans?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also stayed home last evening. Brought home some Domino's, watched the ball drop, and then (like idiots) decided to watch Tropic Thunder (which started really cool with fake trailers, and became really lame... although Tom Cruise is pretty funny--best line I've heard in awhile: "Seriously, a nutless monkey could do your job." I think I'm going to start telling Reber that...

Laura Saufley Photography said...

We too were invited to several things but stayed home instead. And I was just as happy. After a busy busy end of the year and Christmas week it was nice just to veg out on the couch as a family. I finished a book while everyone watched a movie. It was bliss. : )