Sunday, October 19, 2008

Be Strong and Courageous

"Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you."
- Deuteronomy 31:6

Recently I've been reading through the Old Testament. Some of it is awesome and some of it is a little dry. But one thing that keeps popping out to me is that phrase - be strong and courageous. Throughout this chapter and into Joshua, God is leading the Israelites to the land he promised their ancestors. Sometimes, a bunch of cities hear how strong the Israelites are and get together to try and conquer them. The other cities seem to WAY outnumber the Israelites, so it's natural for them to be nervous (wouldn't you be scared if you had to go fight in a battle you seemed destined to lose?). But time and time again, the Israelites go in and crush everyone and take over the cities. I'm not a big fan of war (remember, I grew up Mennonite!), but God was using the Israelites to show the world His power and how He takes care of his people.

I like this verse because it reminds me that God still takes care of us. This doesn't mean that we will always have the best of everything, but it means that we will have what we need. It also reminds me that if God can conquer multiple cities with chickens like the Israelites, he can deal with my problems that I stress about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for posting this! I've been struggling (with money problems, mostly, but anyway), and this helps me realize I just have to have faith that God will work things out the way they need to be. Thank you :-)