Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Best Gift Ever


I gave this to Reber a couple years ago for his birthday and I was so proud of it (and still am).  It doesn't look that special upon first glance, but it actually took some thought and effort.  Maybe I even like it more than he does, but too bad.

The papers are Chinese for our names (supposedly!) and I got them from this guy at Pike's Place market in Seattle.  He didn't speak English and I had to repeat Reber's name like 3 times because I guess he'd never heard of it.  Anyway, that was really special because Reber's always wanted to go to Seattle but hasn't been yet - I was there for a death in the family so not under the best circumstances anyway.

So I wanted to do something special and give them as a gift, but custom framing can be out the wazoo expensive.  I went to the Frame Factory right up the road (a locally-owned store :) and asked what were my options.  The lady suggested a custom mat with a frame that they had in the store.  She went to a corner with the discount frames and pulled out this one - exactly perfect for what I needed and it was on clearance PLUS I had a 10% off coupon so the whole entire thing only ended up costing around $50.  I just love this thing.

No comments: